University Safety and Assurances

Drivers and Vehicles

Important Information for Drivers

  • Minimum Requirements to Drive

    State employees, authorized University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee students and other authorized agents of the state may be allowed to drive a state vehicle if the following minimum standards are met and approved by their employing agency:

    • Must have a valid operator’s license

    • Must have minimum of two years licensed driving experience. (Driving while using a temporary license or learner permit does not count toward fulfullment of the two years of licensed driving requirement), and
    • Must be eighteen (18) years of age.
    • Cannot have 3 or more moving violations or "at fault" accidents within the  2-year period prior to the date of authorization application or within 2 years of being authorized.
    • Cannot have an OWI or DUI violation within the past year.
    • Drivers license must have been reinstated for one year or more after revocation.
  • Are you Authorized?

    Due to the State's increasing scrutiny of driver qualifications, driver licenses from other countries, Canada excepted, will no longer be accepted. Individuals will need to contact the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a Wisconsin driver's license and additionally must annually submit a copy of their driving record from their state Department of Motor Vehicles. From this point forward, we can only accept licenses from the US, it's territories, and Canada.

    Holders of licenses issued by a state other than Wisconsin and individuals holding a Wisconsin Driver's License less than three years due to previously being licensed in another state or country must request a copy of their driving record from the previous state of residence and submit it to Risk Management.

    Have you completed a driver's authorization form?

    Please Note: By signing the Driver’s Authorization form you are agreeing to inform your supervisor and the UW-Milwaukee Risk Manager whenever any negative change in the status of your driving record may occur. Any negative change in the status of your driving record may result in the revocation of the privilege of driving on University business.

    Employees, LTEs, students and agents will have their driving records checked monthly and authorization ends when the driver fails to meet the minimum driving standards or when employment is terminated.

    Students and agents may be authorized for a maximum of one year and must submit a new request for authorization.

    Approved Driver Database

    If you have completed an authorization form, had it approved by your supervisor and it has been forwarded to the Risk Management Office, then check the Approved Driver Database (real-time data) for your status.  To search by UDDS, enter your Division's UDDS (i.e., B020000 for Finance and Administrative Affairs).

  • Reasons Your Application May be Denied
  • Are You "Within Scope" When Driving A State-Owned Vehicle?
  • Use of Your Personal Vehicle on University Business
  • State of Wisconsin Fleet Driver and Management Policies and Procedures Manual
  • Motor Vehicle Accident Tips
  • Information for Job Advertisements and Postings where driving is a job requirement

Rental Vehicles

When using rental vehicles it is important that university drivers be familiar with the rules involved in renting a vehicle. Refer to UW System Vehicle Rental Contract Vendors and Applicable Rates webpage for information on the use of rental vehicles. When renting a vehicle, the insurance is included in the rate - as long as you rent under the UW's contract providers. It is important to remember when renting a vehicle that other rates may seem cheaper, but they do not automatically include insurance, so that must be factored into your evaluation. If a contract vendor is not available you must purchase physical damage insurance at the time of the rental.

Liability protection is automatic for local and domestic rentals, as long as the driver is listed on our Approved Driver Database and the vehicle is being used exclusively on University business.

Common mistakes rental drivers make include:

  • Allowing someone not listed on the contract to drive.
  • Failure to purchase insurance when using a non-contract vendor. (NOTE: A non-contract vendor can be used when a contract vendor is not available.)
    • Failure to check if insurance coverage is available when using the P-Card.

    • Failure to notify the P-Card provider within 20 days of an accident.

Van Driver Information and Training

All 12/15 passenger van drivers must be trained and approved to drive prior to their use of a 12/15 passenger van.

David Clark, UWM Athletics is the UWM authorized Trainer. Please contact him at x2238 to make an appointment to schedule training. Your department is responsible for the training fee.

Additional Information and Resources:

For any questions, please contact the Risk Management Office staff.