University Safety and Assurances

Accident/Incident Reporting

All university employees, with the exception of Research Assistants, are covered under the provisions of the Wisconsin Worker's Compensation Act, Chapter 102, Wisconsin Statutes, at no cost to the employee. Worker's Compensation pays benefits in the event an employee is injured, acquires a disease or dies as a result of employment at UW-Milwaukee. Benefits provided may include disability payments, death benefits, and payment of reasonable and necessary medical expenses.

All accidents, injuries, or near-misses should be reported to your supervisor. Supervisors are required to complete the "Employer’s First Report of Injury or Disease" form and send it to Worker's Compensation, located in Engelmann 125, within 24 hours after being notified of a work-related injury or illness. This form must be properly completed in order to meet state and federal reporting requirements and to file a claim under Workers Compensation. The information on this form may initiate an accident investigation by the Department of University Safety and Assurances, where applicable.

NOTE: Should an injury result in more than three days lost time from work, contact your Worker's Compensation Coordinator at x5419 or x6792. Medical documentation is required to substantiate disability payments under Worker's Compensation.

A "General Incident Report"pdf format, Adobe Acrobat Required is completed when an undergraduate student (not employed by UWM), a Graduate Student Research Assistant (payrolled by UWM), a volunteer or guest is injured. Students who are payrolled as Graduate Student Research Assistants are considered to be working on a degree and are not considered employees for worker's compensation purposes. The "General Incident Report" form should be completed within 24 hours of the injury and submitted to the University Safety and Assurances.

Whenever an incident/injury occurs the following actions must be taken:

  1. Incident/injury must be reported immediately to supervisor.
  2. Supervisor and/or department completes the State of Wisconsin standard form for Workers Compensation injuries. These forms can be obtained from the Worker's Compensation Office located in Engelmann Hall, Room 125.
  3. Questions regarding the Worker's Compensation form or claim handling should be referred to the Worker's Compensation Office in Engelmann 125 or at x5419.
  4. Supervisors and/or departments should investigate the cause or causes of incidents to prevent reoccurrence. The Department of University Safety & Assurances located in Engelmann Hall Room 270 (x6339) can be contacted by the department for technical assistance if needed.
  5. Follow-up should be done by the department to ensure that corrective action has been taken.
  6. The UW-System Office of Safety and Loss Prevention records all Worker's Compensation claims received from the UWM Worker's Compensation Office. Incidents are summarized according to accident type, injury type and body part. In addition, a summary of incident date, name, occupation, incident description and days lost are listed.

The "Employee's Work Injury and Illness Report" and the "Employer's First Report of Injury or Disease" forms are available online or from the Worker's Compensation Office in Engelmann 125. Any questions or concerns regarding the Worker's Compensation Program should be addressed to staff in the Worker's Compensation Office at x3094 or 5652.