Fire Inspection Checklist
The following items are included on the checklist used by the Milwaukee Fire Department when inspecting UWM buildings:
- Obstructed exit: Remove any obstruction to exit immediately.
- Fire escape route blocked or restricted: Remove any obstruction to fire escape route immediately. Storage resulting in restricted access is prohibited.
- General: Exit doors must be identified and operable.
- Exit door blocked or restricted: Remove any obstruction to exit doors immediately.
- Inoperative fire door: Fire doors must be operative, self-closing or attached to a fused device.
- Closing door device: Check self-closing device to assure it is functional.
- Door wedged open: Immediately remove wedge or item holding fire-rated door in an open position.
- Latches: Self-closing doors should close fully and latch.
- Panic Bar: Assure that panic bar is in operable condition.
Housekeeping - Miscellaneous
- Aisles/Stairs/Hallways: Immediately remove any obstruction, material, trash that could hamper easy exits from aisles, hallways and stairwells.
- Storage in basements and attics: Must be neat and reasonable.
- Storage in stairwells and stairwell landings is prohibited.
- Wall decorations: Combustible decorations on walls not to exceed 10% of overall wall space.
- Gas cylinders: Pressurized cylinders must be labeled and secured.
- Storage areas: Storage rooms or areas must be neat and reasonable.
- Charge: Examine pressure gauge to determine if fully charged.
- Service: Examine extinguisher pin for any apparent damage and check for broken seal.
- Tagged/Marked: Tag should indicate inspection within past month.
- Blocked: Assure that extinguisher is accessible for use and unblocked by furniture or debris (3 foot minimum clearance).
- Mounted: The top of the fire extinguisher should be no more than five feet from the floor.
Flammable And Combustible Liquids
- Storage: Flammable liquids must be stored in a flammable liquids safety container.
- Excessive/Improper Storage: Remove flammable decorations from areas of assembly to alleviate hazard. Remove combustible material from mechanical or equipment rooms.
- Defective Fixtures: Assure immediate repair of any damaged electrical fixtures.
- Missing Cover Plate: Immediately replace any missing or damaged outlet covers.
- Missing Electrical Panel Cover: Report any missing or damaged electrical panel covers.
- Extension Cord: Cords are allowed for temporary use of portable appliances.
- Access Blocked to Electrical Panel: Remove materials blocking access to panel (3 foot minimum clearance).
- Storage: No items may be stored within 18" of a sprinkler head in any direction.
- Report any damaged or defective fire doors, smoke detectors, or sprinklers to Physical Plant Services.
- Report unlit exit lights to Physical Plant Services
- Common Fire Code Violations, City of Milwaukee, Department of Building Inspection