2016 Fall HoursStarting Monday, Sept. 19
Monday - Wednesday: 9am - 7pm
Thursday: 9am - 4pm
Friday: 9am - 1pm
Curtin Hall 127
Library East Wing
Writing Center – Online Tutoring
Your online tutoring session will be as interactive and collaborative as a face to face session. Similarly, what and how much we accomplish within the available time will depend on several factors such as your concerns and your paper's length. Working online is different than meeting in person because acclimating to the technology and reading, typing and waiting for replies, take up session time.
Things to know about online tutoring sessions:
- Wherever you are in your project, you are welcome to work online, from brainstorming to final revisions, and yes, even if you have no draft at all.
- When you make an appointment, we will ask you a few questions about your project e.g., due date and paper's focus. Your answers will help both of us prepare for the session.
- Log into the Online Scheduler approximately 5-10 minutes before the start of your appointment. To meet your tutor online, click on your appointment in the Scheduler and click Start or Join Online Conversation.
- Please do not email your paper ahead of time. We always work collaboratively, so we will read along with you in real time. We'll ask about your assignment, your concerns, and your goals. Whether in person or online, your voice and your choices are always part of our conversation.
- Are you there? Please be present at all times during your online session including when we are reading and replying. If it appears that you have left the session, tutors will log off.
- Sometimes working online with very detailed/technical issues (e.g., MLA or APA citation formats, or grammar and punctuation), is very difficult and may not lend itself to the collaborative conversations we offer in the Center. If meeting with us in person would be a better option, we will let you know.
- To learn more 'dos and don'ts' when working online, see the University of Wisconsin Online College's Guidelines for Online Etiquette.
Online Audio and Video Instructions:
- Make sure your browser allows pop-ups from WCOnline (Google Chrome doesn't automatically)
- Once in the appointment, click on the camera icon in the top corner of the screen (left or right depends on browser)
- Click which equipment you want to use (camera and microphone for A/V, microphone only for Audio Only sessions)
- Any changes to the settings may require you to refresh your browser
- If you encounter any technical difficulties, tutors will encourage the use of the standard text function for online sessions