Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL) is an excellent wide-ranging resource to address many writing issues.
Style Guides and Tutorials
- Style Guides and Tutorials – AP, APA, MLA, Chicago styles, and more
- Using the Library – Search and research topics with this link to the UWM Libraries Site.
Guidelines for Online Etiquette – (from the University of Wisconsin Online Colleges)
Personal Statements/Graduate School – (from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
Artist Statements – (from UWM Professor Nathaniel Stern)
Writing in STEM Disciplines - (from Carnegie Mellon University's Global Communication Center)
Writing Across Disciplines: "Department by Department Guide," Marquette University - (Note: This Guide was created by and for Marquette University. While this guide is useful for discussion, UWM students should always give precedence to their UWM teachers' assignments, instructions, and expectations.)
Gender Inclusive Language - (from UNC at Chapel Hill)
Useful Grammar and Writing Websites
- Grammar Exercises – (from the Purdue OWL)
Diagramming Sentences – (from Learning Stream Center)
Grammar Bytes – (from Robin L. Simmons, Valencia Community College)
- Citation Styles and Avoiding Plagiarism - Includes information on when to cite sources (from UWM Libraries)
UWM's Academic Misconduct Policies – Includes information on plagiarism
Questions about Plagiarism – Includes explanations of why, when, and how to use sources (from University of Auckland)
Avoiding Plagiarism – Includes what plagiarism is and how to avoid it (from the Purdue OWL)
What is Plagiarism? – How to recognize plagiarism (from Indiana University of Bloomington School of Education)
Graduate Student Writers
- Strategies for Graduate Writers and Others Working on Long Papers – Helpful guidelines so you can plan accordingly and make the best use of your session
UWM Graduate School Formats – Master's Thesis and Doctoral Dissertation Format Requirements from the UWM Graduate School
Curriculum Vitae and Related Topics--(from University of Virginia)
Support Group for Dissertators and Thesis Writers – Contact JoAnne Graham, Ph.D., Norris Health Center, 414-229-7144 for more information.