UWM Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018


For the latest admissions information, visit our website at http://uwm.edu/admission/

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Vogel Hall, 3253 North Downer Ave.
(414) 229-2222

Undergraduate Admission: General Information

If you wish to apply as a degree candidate (freshman, re-entry, or transfer student), visit the University of Wisconsin System application website at https://apply.wisconsin.edu. You will need to supply the necessary documents like test scores and transcripts separately. We will accept transcripts and test results submitted electronically from a vendor or testing agency. You will be notified of any additional materials needed to complete your application (including what we still need from you to make an admission decision) and can track the receipt of these documents as well as the progress of your application review online via PAWS (Panther Access to Web Services) at paws.uwm.edu.

If you wish to apply as a non-degree or summer guest student, you also may use the electronic applications available at https://apply.wisconsin.edu/. If you require a paper application, you can download a PDF of any applications from this site.

Students may get in touch with us at http://uwm.edu/contact/ for easy access to an online information request form, as well as phone, email, live chat, and social media contact information. We are able to respond to any questions about visiting UWM, the application process, materials required, which application to submit, or any other concerns you might have.

Freshman Admission Policy Statement

UWM will consider applicants who present evidence of appropriate preparation and potential for intellectual development. Both academic and non-academic factors will be assessed in an individualized, comprehensive applicant review. Academic factors considered include high school graduation or the equivalent, completion of an appropriate college preparatory curriculum, and evidence of academic ability and readiness based on the applicant's high school record and performance on standardized tests. Relevant non-academic factors include characteristics or experiences that will contribute to UWM's diversity, support the University's educational mission, and provide additional evidence of the applicant's academic potential.

Freshman Admission Standards

Freshman applicants will typically demonstrate an appropriate level of preparation and potential by providing evidence of the following:

1. High school graduation or its equivalent

Graduation from a recognized high school or its equivalent (e.g., high school equivalency certificate or a diploma based on the GED or Wisconsin High School Equivalency Examination) is required. All freshman applicants must submit an official high school transcript with their application.

Those who have completed the General Educational Development or Wisconsin High School Equivalency Examination are required to submit official test results, in addition to ACT or SAT test results, and an official transcript of any high school work they have completed. Applicants who are home-schooled, who have completed an alternative high school curriculum, or whose secondary school credentials are otherwise non-traditional, will be given full consideration for admission but may be required to present additional evidence demonstrating academic preparation.

2. Completion of an appropriate college preparatory curriculum

Satisfactory completion of at least 17 credits (1 credit = 1 year) of high school courses, distributed as shown in the following chart, is the minimum expectation. Additional coursework beyond this minimum level is strongly encouraged and will increase the applicant’s likelihood of academic success at the university. Some academic programs have additional academic preparation requirements. 



Credits Required

Including at least 3 years of literature and composition.



College prep courses at or above algebra level. Additional math is strongly recommended, particularly for engineering and science majors.



Natural Science
Including at least 1 year of lab science.



History/Social Science



Additional Academic Courses
May be chosen from any of the above areas, foreign language, speech/communication, or other academic areas. At least two years of foreign language is strongly recommended.



Additional Academic Courses or Other Electives
Chosen from above areas, computer science, fine arts, or other appropriate courses.






3. Evidence of academic ability and readiness as demonstrated by academic performance in high school

All relevant academic factors are considered, including grades and grade point average; high school class rank (if available); choice of curriculum; and strength of the academic program relative to the course offerings available to the student in the high school.

4. Evidence of academic ability and readiness as demonstrated by performance on standardized test

All freshman applicants except those who are age 21 or older the semester they wish to enter UWM must submit official ACT or SAT scores. Students over the age of 21 may submit standardized test scores if they so desire. In some cases, applicants may be asked to undergo additional testing or supply additional materials before an admission decision is made. 

5. Additional factors considered

Additional factors will be considered as part of the application review process. These might include, but are not limited to: evidence of leadership, creativity, special talents or abilities; membership in an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; veteran status; involvement in community service; educational or economic disadvantage; evidence of motivation and maturity; or other relevant factors that provide evidence of the applicant’s readiness for university-level study. If we need to obtain additional information from you, we will communicate this to you after the initial review of your application.

Applicants lacking some of the specific academic qualifications listed in sections 1-4 above may be offered admission if, on the basis of other factors, they appear to have a reasonable probability of success. 

Application Deadlines

UWM begins accepting undergraduate applications on September 15 for the following fall term, with a priority application deadline of March 1. After the priority deadline, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will continue to review applications on a case-by-case basis until enrollment capacity has been reached. Applications for the spring term (classes start in January) are typically accepted until December 15. However, some programs have earlier deadlines and/or additional requirements. See below and check our website for up-to-date information.

It is to your advantage to apply early so that you receive important information as soon as possible, not to mention scholarship consideration.

Variations in Admission Requirements and Deadlines

Architecture and Urban Planning

Admission to the School of Architecture and Urban Planning is selective and competitive. Most students admitted to the School will have a high school cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 unweighted scale and have a composite ACT score of at least 23 (SAT 1070). The application priority date for Architecture and Urban Planning is March 1 (for the subsequent fall term) or December 1 (for the spring term), but earlier application is advised. Performance on standardized tests, grade point average, and class rank is only a portion of the admission decision. Other factors include the applicant statements, rigor of high school curriculum, letters of recommendation, and extra-curricular activities.

Engineering and Applied Science

Admission to the College of Engineering and Applied Science is selective. The primary review factors are the strength and quality of the high school curriculum, high school class rank if available, grade point average, and ACT or SAT results. Well-prepared applicants will have four years of high school mathematics at the level of algebra and above and four years of natural science including biology, chemistry, and physics. Relevant non-academic factors are also considered. See the CEAS section of this Catalog for additional specific information.


High school science units must include at least one year of high school chemistry. Admission to the pre-nursing program is selective. The application priority date is March 1 for fall applicants. Apply as early as possible; applications will be accepted only until program capacity has been reached.   

Peck School of the Arts

  • Dance: An audition is required for entry into both the Dance BFA and BA. Audition dates are scheduled during the fall, spring, and summer terms. More information at: uwm.edu/arts/dance.
  • Art & Design: The Department of Art & Design requires all incoming students to submit a portfolio for review. The portfolio is required in order to be considered for the Art & Design Incoming Student Scholarship. Portfolio deadlines are October 15 (for spring admission) and March 1 (for summer or for fall admission with consideration for scholarships). More information at: uwm.edu/arts/art-and-design.
  • Music: Students wishing to enter the UWM Music Department must interview and/or audition for admittance to any of the Music degree programs. You must arrange for an instrument or voice audition in person, online, or with a tape/CD submission. More information at: uwm.edu/arts/apply.

Application Process

It is strongly recommended that you apply online at https://apply.wisconsin.edu/. Most applicants find it faster and more convenient, and applications are received and processed much more quickly. To apply for admission as a new freshman, refer to Undergraduate Admission: General Information.

For the latest admissions information, visit the UWM website at uwm.edu/undergrad-admission or call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (414) 229-2222.

Four-Year Graduation Guarantee

Many students choose to attend classes part time, but for others, attending full time in order to obtain their degree as quickly as possible is the top priority. If that is your goal, UWM's Four-Year Graduation Guarantee may be for you.

To qualify, students must enter UWM as new freshmen during the fall term and must have appropriate academic preparation and placement test scores. They then sign a contract agreeing to satisfy other specified academic progress requirements while following the prescribed program of study. UWM, in turn, guarantees that students who fulfill these requirements will be able to complete their undergraduate degree within four years of initial enrollment at UWM. This program is available within all of UWM's baccalaureate programs, although specific requirements may vary. Your academic advisor can provide more information about this option, or contact the academic advising office of the school or college to which you will be seeking admission.

Special Admission Programs for Students Still Enrolled in High School

The High School Special Student Program and the Youth Options Program are designed to allow qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll in university courses concurrently with high school classes. Applicants must generally rank in the upper 10% of their high school class and have completed an appropriate pattern of academic courses. For further information, contact your high school guidance counselor or the UWM Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (414) 229-2222. You also may want to review the information available on the website at uwm.edu/undergrad-admission/student-type/new-freshmen.

Admission to Pre-professional Programs

Students pursuing pre-professional programs in the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, Peck School of the Arts, Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business, School of Education, College of Engineering and Applied Science, College of Health Sciences, College of Nursing, and Helen Bader School of Social Welfare are admitted directly into those schools and colleges and are advised there. However, admission to a pre-professional program does not guarantee subsequent admission to the professional program or major.

Admission to the professional program/major occurs only after a student has completed the specific pre-professional requirements outlined in the school and college sections of this catalog. Admission to the pre-professional program does not imply or guarantee that a student will be able to enter or complete a professional program/major within any specific time period and, in fact, admission to some professional programs/majors is very competitive. Enrollment in required courses is subject to limitation.

Requirements for employment, licensing, or professional organizations: Students should be aware that some professions and occupations are subject to licensing and/or bonding requirements. When a course of study includes clinical or field training, practice teaching, internships, or the like, students may be subjected to a check of criminal conviction records prior to acceptance by the placement site. Students are responsible for obtaining the information necessary to become knowledgeable about special requirements such as these and should plan their studies accordingly.

Transfer Student Admission and Acceptance of Transfer Credit


Admission to UWM as a transfer student typically requires at least an overall C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) grade point average on 12 or more transferable credits. However, this is the minimum standard. Some academic programs have higher standards and/or additional requirements (see examples below).

Each transfer application receives a comprehensive review. In addition to reviewing the student's record of post-secondary work for evidence of appropriate academic preparation, other factors considered may include the student's high school record, test scores, grade patterns, and evidence of motivation, maturity, and/or other relevant non-academic information.

Additional Specific Requirements

Transfer admission to the College of Engineering and Applied Science, the School of Architecture and Urban Planning, and the College of Nursing is selective. Many programs in the Peck School of the Arts have audition or portfolio requirements. In addition, admission to many other individual programs/majors is competitive and subject to capacity limitations, with higher standards or additional criteria considered. For more details, check the admission requirements listed for the particular academic program in which you are interested.

International students have additional application requirements; see that section for details.


Apply electronically via the University of Wisconsin System electronic application website at https://apply.wisconsin.edu. If you apply electronically, you will need to submit the necessary supporting documents separately. Electronic transcripts sent from schools and third party vendors should be sent to: undergraduateadmissions@uwm.edu. Transfer applicants must submit, at minimum:

  • a completed application form;
  • official high school transcript(s);
  • official transcript(s) from any post-secondary institution(s) attended; and
  • the application fee (if required).

You will be notified of any additional materials needed to complete your application. Complete instructions and information about applicable deadlines are available on the website.

If you are unable to apply online, a PDF may be downloaded from https://apply.wisconsin.edu to print and mail in.

The Registrar’s Office will review your prior college coursework and post your transfer credit equivalencies to your PAWS account. This process can take 1-2 weeks following admission to the university, so it is important that you apply early in order to have this information in time for academic advising and registration prior to your desired term of enrollment (see dates and deadlines below).

Recommended Filing Dates for Transfer Students

Filing and completing your application for admission (including all transcripts and the application fee) as early as possible is recommended so that transfer students are able to receive an appointment to register for classes at approximately the same time as continuing students. In general, a decision on a complete application is made by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions within 2-4 weeks, and transfer credit evaluations are completed within four weeks of the date of admission. Recommended dates by which a completed application should be on file are as follows: February 15 (summer and fall terms) and September 15 (spring term).

Application Deadlines for Transfer Students

Fall term: UWM begins accepting undergraduate applications on September 15 for the following fall term, with a priority deadline of March 1. After the priority deadline, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will continue to review applications on a case-by-case basis until enrollment capacity has been reached.

Spring term: Applications for the spring term (classes start in January) are typically accepted until December 15. However, some programs have earlier deadlines and/or additional requirements. See below and check our website for up-to-date information.

Earlier deadlines apply for certain programs and applications received after enrollment capacity has been reached may not be reviewed. The application priority date for Nursing and Architecture and Urban Planning is March 1 (for the subsequent fall term) or November 1 (for the spring term). For Art & Design or Music, apply by March 1 for scholarship consideration. Check our website at uwm.edu/undergrad-admission for up-to-date information and for applicable deadlines for other terms.

Transfer Credit Acceptance

Credit is generally awarded for relevant and appropriate college-level coursework successfully completed at institutions accredited by a regional accrediting association. Credit also may be awarded for college-level work successfully completed at degree-granting institutions accredited by other national accrediting organizations that are recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), assuming the provisions outlined below also are met. (Foreign institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education, or equivalent, of the home country.)

In order for credit to be awarded, courses must typically be similar in nature, level, and content to a course in UWM's undergraduate curriculum, and be applicable to one of UWM's academic programs at the baccalaureate level. Credit generally is not awarded for continuing education coursework or for courses that are remedial, vocational, technical, or doctrinal in nature.

Additional transfer credit may be awarded to students who enter specific programs for which UWM has established articulation agreements or other program-specific transfer credit agreements, with a partner institution.

Seventy-two (72) credits is the maximum total number of credits that may be awarded for coursework earned at one or any combination of two-year (associate degree level) institution(s).

In addition to credit for courses completed at other schools, students can also receive transfer credit for previous education or training or by testing on their current knowledge. See uwm.edu/transfer-information/transfer-credit/ for more information.

Credit Transfer from the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS)

Students enrolled in the Wisconsin Technical College System who wish to continue their education at UWM may transfer credits toward their bachelor's degree in the following ways:

  • Students enrolled in a WTCS liberal arts program (at present, these are offered at Chippewa Valley Technical College, Madison Area Technical College, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Nicolet Area Technical College, and Western Technical College) may be eligible to transfer up to 72 credits toward the baccalaureate degree.
  • Students enrolled at other WTCS programs or campuses may be eligible to transfer some appropriate general education coursework toward the baccalaureate degree.
  • There also are many program-specific transfer credit agreements governing acceptance of credit from some WTCS programs. For details, uwm.edu/transfer-information/transfer-credit/.
  • The UWM Office of Undergraduate Admissions maintains an office at the MATC-Milwaukee downtown campus in order to assist students with transfer-related questions. For more specific information, get in touch at uwm.edu/contact for easy access to an online information request form, as well as phone, email, live chat, or social media contact information.

For more information about these or other transfer opportunities, students should consult with their Wisconsin Technical College advisor, the UWM Office of Undergraduate Admissions, or the UWM Registrar's Office.

Another helpful resource is the online Transfer Information System (TIS), located at tis.uwsa.edu. TIS shows students how courses can transfer from one public Wisconsin institution to another.

International Student Admission

UWM's Center for International Education is responsible for the admission of students with significant education from outside the U.S., and any student who requires a student visa to study at UWM

Applicants are encouraged to apply online at https://apply.wisconsin.edu/. Application materials are located on the Center for International Education website at uwm.edu/cie/international-admissions/ or can be requested via email to isss@uwm.edu. Prospective students may visit the Center for International Education, located in Garland Hall, Room 138, or write:

The Center for International Education, International Student and Scholar Services
Garland Hall 138
P.O. Box 413
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0413

Application materials sent via express mail should be addressed to:

The Center for International Education, ISSS
2441 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53211
The telephone number is (414) 229-4846.

Students are encouraged to apply a year in advance of the term in which they wish to enroll at UWM. The length of the application process can vary depending on how quickly the applicant provides all required materials to complete the application. The following materials are required to be considered for admission to UWM.

  1. A completed and signed application form.
  2. A $90 fee ($50 state-required application fee plus a $40 evaluation fee for applicants with non-U.S. academic credentials). These fees cannot be waived, refunded, or applied to any other University fee or bill. Fees are subject to change.
  3. Original or officially certified copies of all grade reports, transcripts, or marks sheets for all secondary and higher studies undertaken, as well as original or officially certified attested copies of all academic diplomas, certificates, and national or other major examination results. Official records must be submitted in the native language and must be accompanied by an official English translation. Notarized copies are not accepted. Whenever possible, academic records must be sent directly to the Center for International Education from the issuing institution.
  4. All non-native speakers of English are required to meet the University's English proficiency requirement. Information on how to meet this requirement is available on the Center for International Education website: uwm.edu/cie/international-admissions/
  5. Additional departmental requirements may be required for certain applicants to particular programs. Please inquire with the Center for International Education for more information.

After admission to UWM, International students who require an F or J visa must submit proof that they have adequate financial support to live and study full time at UWM. Updated financial figures can be found at uwm.edu/cie/. Financial verification is required before the University will issue the U.S. government form (Form I-20 or DS-2019) necessary to obtain a foreign student visa or to transfer from another U.S. institution.

Re-entering and Re-admitted Students

Students who have not been enrolled at UWM for more than two semesters must file a re-entry application to return to the University. Official transcripts of all college work taken during the absence from UW-Milwaukee must be submitted. This application is available at http://uwm.edu/undergrad-admission/forms-resources/.

UWM begins accepting undergraduate applications on September 15 for the following fall term, with a priority deadline of March 1.  After the priority deadline, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will continue to review applications on a case-by-case basis until enrollment capacity has been reached. Applications for the spring term (classes start in January) are typically accepted until December 15. However, some programs have earlier deadlines and/or requirements. See below and check our website for up-to-date information: uwm.edu/undergrad-admission.

In addition to filing a re-entry application to the University, a student who has been dropped from the University because of poor academic performance must be approved for re-admission by the dean of the school or college from which the student was dropped. Students should schedule an appointment with their academic advisor to begin the school or college approval process.

For more information about re-entry procedures or to request an application form, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (414) 229-2222.

Summer Sessions Enrollment

Students admitted as degree candidates at UWM for the summer term may attend summer sessions and continue in the fall semester, provided they continue to satisfy established academic standards. Admission requirements are the same as for other semesters. Students enrolled for the spring semester automatically receive registration information for summer sessions.

New freshmen or transfer students admitted for the fall semester also may request a change of term to the preceding Summer Session in order to begin their studies earlier at UWM. For more information about a term change, call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (414) 229-2222. Or go to uwm.edu/undergrad-admission/forms-resources to print off a term change form and submit it for processing.

Students enrolled at another college or university during the academic year who wish to attend UWM during the summer term only may qualify for admission as Summer Guest students. See Non-degree Students section below for specific information.

For more information about summer sessions enrollment go to uwm.edu/schedule.

Non-degree Students

There are a number of different options, described below, for students who wish to attend classes at the University but who are not seeking a degree. Please note that in most cases, non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.

Non-Degree Students. This program is designed for individuals interested in taking undergraduate courses for personal enrichment, career change, preparation for admission to graduate school, or as a first step into a degree program. Non-degree students earn college credit for courses successfully completed and pay tuition at the same rate as degree-seeking students.

If you wish to be admitted as a non-degree student and do not have a bachelor's degree, you must have graduated from a recognized high school at least one year prior to the desired semester of enrollment. All students out of high school less than two years must present official transcripts and meet regular admission requirements for undergraduate degree students.

If you already have completed an undergraduate degree at an accredited institution, you must still complete the non-degree ("Special Student") application form, but you will not be required to submit transcripts in order to be admitted.

Non-degree students need to maintain a C grade point average in order to continue in good standing. Individuals who enter a degree program at UWM in the future will be able to transfer all undergraduate credits into their program. With a few exceptions, no credits earned will be considered now or in the future as graduate credits.

Many courses are open to non-degree students, but there are some restrictions in high-demand areas. Information on courses open to non-degree students can be found in the Schedule of Classes at uwm.edu/schedule/.

Admission and enrollment information and advising services for non-degree students are available in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Vogel Hall, 3253 N. Downer Ave., (414) 229-2222.

Summer and UWinteriM Guest Students. Most Guest students attend another college or university during the academic year, but take summer or UWinteriM courses at UWM for personal enrichment or for credit transfer to the institution where they are pursuing a degree. This category also is used for individuals who have an undergraduate degree but wish to enroll during a summer or UWinteriM term only. Guest students may qualify for admission without providing official university transcripts. For more information, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Vogel Hall, 3253 N. Downer Ave., (414) 229-2222.

School/College Non-degree Students. Students who do not wish to enroll in a degree program, but who want to take courses in a specialized area of study such as business administration, engineering, or certain majors within the College of Letters and Science, may be admitted as Special Students by a specific UWM school or college.

Non-degree students admitted under these classifications may be eligible to enroll in certain high-demand courses that are not open to other non-degree students. In the College of Letters and Science, students who have not completed an undergraduate degree are expected to meet the regular requirements for admission and submit transcripts. For more information, contact the specific UWM school or college in which you wish to enroll.

Education Non-degree Students. Students with bachelor's degrees who are interested in pursuing a teacher certification program may be admitted as Education Certification Non-degree ("Special") Students. Admission to the teacher certification program requires approval from the School of Education. For more information, contact the Curriculum and Instruction Office at (414) 229-4904.

Audit-Only Students/Auditors. Students may opt to audit courses rather than enroll for credit. Students who are only auditing courses will typically pay lower fees for audited courses and in some cases may audit courses free of charge, subject to space availability and instructor approval. Additional information about auditing classes is found in this catalog in the "Academic Opportunities" section. Or, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Mellencamp Hall, Room 212, (414) 229-2222.

Information for Out-of-State Students

Residency. Residency, for tuition purposes, is governed by Wisconsin statute. It is the mutual responsibility of the University and the student to make certain that he or she is correctly classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes. If an error is discovered, the student will be notified that he or she must pay the non-resident portion of the tuition immediately. Students who question their status should contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in Mellencamp Hall, Room 212, (414) 229-4672. A student who wishes to appeal the nonresident classification should request a non-residency appeal form prior to the tuition due date for the semester. For more information regarding residency, go to the website at uwm.edu/undergrad-admission/student-type/out-of-state/.

Minnesota/Wisconsin Reciprocity Agreement. Minnesota residents may be eligible to participate under the Minnesota/Wisconsin Reciprocity Agreement. Students certified under this program pay tuition at a special rate that is less than non-resident tuition. A certification year runs from July 1 through June 30, although degree students are normally certified once during the full duration of their academic career if they remain continuously enrolled.

Persons not certified by the date on which fees are due will be required to pay non-resident tuition and fees. The appropriate amount will then be refunded upon certification by the State of Minnesota Office of Higher Education Reciprocity Program. For more information, contact the State of Minnesota Office of Higher Education Reciprocity Program, 1450 Energy Park Dr., Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108, (651) 642-0567, (800) 657-3866, or www.ohe.state.mn.us.

Midwest Student Exchange Program. UWM participates in the Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP), a collaborative program that enables qualified students to attend a participating college or university in another MSEP state at a substantial discount from the usual tuition rate. Students attending UWM as part of the MSEP will pay 150% of the Wisconsin resident rate. For more information, visit www.msep.uwm.edu.

Milwaukee Advantage Program (MAP)
Illinois students are eligible to receive an additional $1,000 award each year through the Milwaukee Advantage Program (MAP). The MAP award is renewable.

  • MAP will be offered at both fall/spring terms. Spring term admits will be eligible for $500.
  • Must be enrolled full time in order to be eligible. Falling below full-time status will result in cancellation of award.

Advising and Orientation for New Students

All new students are assigned an academic advisor upon admission to UWM. New freshmen are required to participate in an advising, registration, and orientation program prior to their first semester of enrollment. These programs are held during the summer for students entering in the fall semester and during January for students entering in the spring semester. A family and guest orientation program is held concurrently with the student program.

In order to be invited to an orientation, new freshmen must take their Placement Tests, complete their University Housing contract or exemption form, pay their University Housing down payment (if applicable), and pay the $150 New Student Confirmation Deposit. More detailed information about this process will be mailed to you upon admission to the University. For more information, go to uwm.edu/admitted. Advising and enrollment programs for transfer and non-traditional students also are conducted each year. Participation is strongly encouraged. For more information, go to taso.uwm.edu.

Placement Testing

All incoming freshmen admitted to UW-Milwaukee are required to complete placement testing in math and English. Depending on your course of study, you also may be required to take an exam in chemistry and/or a foreign language. These tests help determine appropriate placement in your college courses and must be completed before you can enroll for classes. Transfer students and re-entry students may be required to take placement tests also, depending on previous coursework and intended degree plan. Check with your advisor to determine if you need to complete placement tests.

English Placement Test (EPT). The English placement test consists of three subtests in the following areas: English Usage, Sentence Correction, and Reading Comprehension. The English Placement test takes 90 minutes to complete.


English Placement Test for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT NNSE). If you grew up speaking a language other than English, you should take this test. As a non-native writer of English, you can complete your English writing requirement by taking English for Academic Purposes (EAP) writing courses instead of the English writing courses designed for native speakers of English. The support provided in the EAP writing courses can also help you do better in all of your university courses. This test lasts 75 minutes and includes a 50 minute essay and a 25 minute reading comprehension test. You may bring a print dictionary to check your spelling. Electronic dictionaries are not allowed.

Math Placement Test (MPT). The Mathematics Placement Test measures three different sets of skills: Math Basics, Algebra, and Trigonometry. The test takes 90 minutes to complete. Students are allowed to use a scientific calculator. Graphing calculators may not be used and will not be permitted in the testing room. Only non-graphing, non-programmable calculators are permitted for use on this test.

Foreign Language Placement Tests. These are tests of grammar and reading comprehension, and take 60 minutes to complete. Students who have taken French, German, or Spanish in high school and plan to continue in the same language should take the appropriate foreign language test. Students are allowed to enroll in a course one semester more advanced or one semester less advanced than the recommended one. Students may be eligible for retro-credits upon completion of that UWM course. For example, if you place into the third semester course and complete that course with a grade of B or better, you can apply to receive credits for that course in addition to the retro-credits for the first semester and second semester courses.

The Japanese language program has its own placement test administered in the Testing Center. Students who take this test are required to consult with the coordinator of Japanese prior to testing. For most other languages, students who wish to enroll in a course beyond the introductory one should confer with the relevant language coordinator. Students will be asked to complete a test administered through that particular office. For example, if you wish to be placed into the third semester course, you will be asked to take the final exam from the second semester course.

Chemistry Placement Test. The purpose of this test is to assist with placement in college-level general chemistry courses. Student preparation is assumed to include one full year of high school chemistry and one full year of high school algebra. Certain plans require completion of the Chemistry placement test if a student wants to test out of the first semester chemistry course (Chemistry 100). Check the Schedule of Classes for course prerequisites or contact the Testing Center to determine if you need to complete the test. There are three parts to the test: General Mathematics, General Chemical Knowledge, and Specific Chemical Knowledge. This test is 55 minutes. Only non-graphing, non-programmable calculators are permitted for use on this test.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018:

[ Contents | How to Use This Book | Calendar | Index ]
[ Admission | Registration |Financial Information | Academic Information ]
[ Administration | About UWM | Academic Opportunities | Campus Resources ]
[ Schools and Colleges ]

Copyright 2017 by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, all rights reserved.