UWM Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018

Helen Bader School of Social Welfare

Social Work

The bachelor's degree in social work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. Its primary objective is to prepare students for beginning generalist social work practice.

The program prepares students for potential employment in both public (federal, state, and county) and private social service agencies. A sample of career possibilities includes caseworker, psychiatric social worker, youth counselor, and alcohol/drug counselor.


In addition to the normal University admission requirements, students apply on a separate application for admission to the social work major when they achieve junior standing. A cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 on all previous college work is required for admission to the major. Applicants to the social work major also must have completed a minimum of 75 hours of related supervised volunteer or work experience. See an advisor for more information. Applications may be obtained from the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare Student Information Center, 11th floor of Enderis Hall.

Course of Study

The undergraduate social work major includes a pre-professional component. Social work intended majors spend their first two years building a liberal arts foundation and fulfilling proficiency requirements.

In addition to satisfying the liberal arts foundation requirements, the student must earn a minimum of 69 credits in social work or Helen Bader School of Social Welfare courses and social sciences. (A student can take courses in criminal justice and have them count toward the major as elective credit.)

Required Courses

Soc Wrk 100

Introduction to Human Services


Soc Wrk 206

Society, Poverty, and Welfare Programs


Soc Wrk 250

Human Behavior and the Social Environment


Soc Wrk 310

Social Work Methods I


Soc Wrk 4101

Social Work Methods II


Soc Wrk 4272

Social Work Methods III


Soc Wrk 4211

Field Education I


Soc Wrk 4222

Field Education II


Soc Wrk 604

Social Systems and Social Work Practice


Soc Wrk 6621

Methods of Social Welfare Research


Soc Wrk 665

Cultural Diversity and Social Work


Soc Wrk or Crm Jst Electives







1 To be taken concurrently.

2 To be taken concurrently.

No academic credit for life experience and previous work experience is granted in lieu of field placement.

All credit for required courses must have been earned within 10 years of graduation.

Social Science Requirements. A total of 27 credits in the social sciences is required, to include the following distribution:

1. 15 credits taken in a single area of concentration from one of the following: anthropology, economics, history, political science, psychology, or sociology. (Courses must be approved as General Education social sciences.) At least 6 of these credits must be at the upper division (300 level or above).

2. 12 credits taken in at least two other social sciences from the list above, outside the area of concentration. Other social sciences such as geography, philosophy, etc., are not included in the social sciences for the major, nor do they count in the 69-credit rule.

3. The student must have at least one course in each of the following content areas: social change, social organization and institutions, personality theory, biological processes, and ethnic/minority studies. The standard social work curriculum leaves enough flexibility in the choice of social science and elective courses to enable students to develop informal program options according to their interests.


The field education sequence required for social work majors consists of two semesters of placement, beginning in the junior year. A total of 256 hours in the field is required each of the two semesters. The field courses are taken concurrently with the methods sequence. Students are required to maintain a grade of B or better in each social work methods and field course. When a student does not, the student's academic progress is reviewed by the chair of the Social Work Department. In certain cases, the student may be referred to the Faculty Review Panel and may not be allowed to continue in the major.

For further information, consult the Field Staff Office, Enderis Hall, Room 1075, (414) 229-6036; the Advising and Field Manuals; or the Student Information Center, 11th floor of Enderis Hall.


Social Work (SOC WRK)

Web Home Pages:
[ Helen Bader School of Social Welfare ]
[ Social Work ]

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018:
Social Work
[ Helen Bader School of Social Welfare ]
[ Schools and Colleges ]
[ Contents | How to Use This Book | Calendar ]
[ Admission | Registration | Financial Information | Academic Information ]
[ Administration | UWM - Endless Possibilities | Academic Opportunities | Campus Resources ]

Copyright 2017 by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, all rights reserved.