Erika Sander, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Emeritus
- Ph.D., University of California-Berkeley
- M.A., Stanford University
- B.A., California State University-Chico
Now retired (August 2008), I first came to UWM in 1970 as an Assistant Professor in the School of Education (Department of Physical Education). The department moved to the College of Health Sciences (then called School of Allied Health Professions) in 1977, at which time we were renamed the Department of Human Kinetics (Kinesiology today). Over my 38 year career, I taught primarily in the areas of Motor Development and applied statistics. Earlier in my career, I also provided professional consultation and workshops on the various aspects of Title IX (Gender Equity) in both Physical Education and Athletics.
In the early 1980’s, I moved into academic administration as the Chair of our department for a span of some 10 years, with one year as Interim Dean of our College in the early 1980’s. During this timeline, I became much more involved in campus level faculty governance, serving on the UWM Faculty Senate and its executive committee called the University Committee for a number of terms. In 1994, our Provost sought me out to serve as his Assistant Vice Chancellor for Personnel, a role I assumed for seven years. During the latter three years, I was also the Interim Director of Human Resources.
Returning to academic life in 2001, I devoted my latter years to teaching, mentoring our younger faculty, especially in governance and teaching roles. Teaching at all levels (introductory undergraduate through doctoral courses) gave me an opportunity to draw upon my career experiences, academic and administrative. Now in retirement, I continue to informally provide support and/or mentoring in faculty/shared governance matters, serve on the UWM ADA Advisory Committee, and provide internet/web support for the UWM Retirees Association. Finally, I continue to be intrigued with the scholarly work that addresses developmental challenges, “womb to tomb!”
- Faculty Service Award, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2003
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Service, College of Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1994
- R R Schreiber Distinguished Service Award, Phi Epsilon Kappa Fraternity (Milwaukee Alumni Chapter), 1991
- Athletic Hall of Fame Special Recognition Award (for contributions to UWM Women’s Athletics), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1990
- Wisconsin Women’s Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Special Service Award, 1981