Graduate Application Requirements
In order for your application to be considered complete, you must submit the following the requirements:
1. Application: We strongly recommend that you fill out an application online at http://apply.wisconsin.edu. By submitting an online application, our office will be able to begin the processing of your application as soon as you submit it. One business day after you have submitted your application, you will receive an e-mail from the university, explaining how to check the status of your application on our PAWS online student information system, www.paws.uwm.edu.
2. Fees: All applications must include the application fee (AF), plus an evaluation fee (EF) for all applicants with education from outside the US. You can send a check or international money order, or pay the fees with a credit card at the same time you submit an online application. Master’s degree and PhD applicants – Total $96 ($56 AF + $40 EF).
*** Applicants to graduate programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences (CEAS) only need to pay the $56 application fee. The $40 evaluation fee will be paid by CEAS.
3. Academic Documentation: Applicants must submit original or officially-certified copies of academic records for all upper secondary and post-secondary education, whether or not the program was completed. Official records must be submitted in the native language and must be accompanied by an official English translation.
Official records must be sent directly to UWM from the institution or examination authority unless the institution or examination authority does not offer this service.
Please note: All documents submitted become the property of the University and will be destroyed after processing. If you do not want to lose your original documents, please send officially-certified copies. If this is not possible, you may include a pre-paid, express envelope at the time you submit your documents and they will be returned when we have processed them. We can return original transcripts, mark sheets, grade reports, diplomas, and national standardized examinations. We will not return certified copies, IELTS reports, U.S. transcripts, proof of funding, or other supporting documentation that can be easily duplicated.
We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged documents.
4. Reasons for Graduate Study: The Reasons statement is used to determine the appropriateness of UWM's programs to your educational and professional goals and serves as an example of your ability to express yourself in writing. In the statement:
- Explain your reasons for pursuing graduate study.
Describe specific interests and your background in the field.
- List any relevant skills or training you have acquired.
- List relevant academic awards or honors you have received.
- If your program requires recommendations, list the names of those individuals who will write on your behalf.
5. Proof of English Language Proficiency: Applicants for graduate study at UWM must meet one of the following for admission:
*Not every graduate program considers applicants for conditional admission. Applicants seeking conditional admission are responsible for contacting the appropriate Graduate Program Representative to ask whether the graduate program considers applicants for conditional admission.
1. TOEFL: UWM requires applicants to send official TOEFL scores from ETS electronically. UWM's school code for TOEFL is 1473. TOEFL scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Some graduate departments require a higher TOEFL score than the minimum score ranges listed above.
2. IELTS: UWM requires applicants to mail an official IELTS score report to the International Admissions Office. UWM requires applicants to mail an official IELTS score report to the International Admissions Office. IELTS scores cannot be more than 2 years old. Some graduate departments require a higher IELTS score than the minimum score ranges listed above.
3. Receipt of a baccalaureate or higher degree from UWM, or another approved institution where English is the sole language of instruction. International applicants also must meet the following criteria:
1) the degree must be earned within two years of your expected enrollment at UWM; and,2) the applicant must have attended this institution a minimum of 2 years.
6. Program Specific Requirements: Some graduate programs may require additional information. Please contact your intended graduate program directly to inquire about any additional requirements they may have.
After Admission: If admitted, applicants who expect to hold an F-1 or J-1 visa must provide proof of adequate funds to live and study full-time at UWM. Estimated costs of studying at UWM are included in the Proof of Funding Information Form.
SEVIS Transfer Information Form (for students transferring from another U.S. school)
**Please note - All documents submitted as part of an application become the property of UWM.