Electa Quinney Institute: Our Mission and Goals
The Electa Quinney Institute for American Indian Education serves as a catalyst for American Indian education and policy initiatives, facilitating the development of new programs, services, and research opportunities at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM).
With the ultimate goal of improving the educational status and well-being of both current and future generations of American Indian children, the Institute leads American Indian education at UWM to:
- Increase American Indian student success both at UWM and in all K-12 settings by fostering high-quality educational instruction and opportunities;
- Enhance the knowledge and diversity of K-12 educators, preparing more American Indians to teach and non-Indian teachers to be more aware of American Indian identity and issues;
- Advance understanding of American Indians in the urban setting;
- Inform and guide local, state, and federal policy as it relates to American Indians, particularly in urban communities;
- Address community needs through effective partnerships between public and private organizations.