L&S Computer Purchasing Process
This page describes the process by which non-CAP-funded PC and Mac computers are to be ordered in the College of Letters and Science. For PC purchases, L&S customers should use the procedure below to order from the UWM Dell Premier store; For Mac purchases, please follow the directions below for the UWM Apple Store. For a comprehensive statement of the College policy on computer purchases, please visit our L&S Computer Acquisition Policy page.
L&S Computer Purchasing Recommendations
In order to provide for the computing and printing needs of faculty and staff, the College of Letters and Science maintains a set of purchasing standards aimed at maximizing performance while reducing support and supply costs. For a list of L&S-recommended PC, Mac, and printer models, please consult the L&S Computer and Printer Purchasing Standards -- please note you'll need to authenticate with your ePanther credentials before opening the file.
Using the UWM Dell Premier Site
- If you have visited the UWM Dell Premier site before, you can log-in at http://premier.dell.com.
- To create an account, please visit http://dell.uwm.edu. After entering your ePanther credentials, you’ll be forwarded to the Premier site and prompted to create an account.
- When you log in, a list of standard UWM desktop and laptop configurations will be displayed. You can add a model to your shopping cart by clicking the Add to Cart link beneath it, or you can specify a custom configuration by clicking Customize. You can return to this page at any time by selecting the UWM Recommended Desktops and Laptops link from the Standard Configurations drop-down menu at the top of the page.
- When you have finishing shopping, save an E-Quote:
- Click the My Cart link in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Click the Save as E-Quote link at the bottom of the shopping cart.
- Complete the E-Quote Form with the required information.
- If you are submitting the order on behalf of someone else, make sure to include the name of the intended recipient in the E-quote Name.
- Include funding information in the Acct Fund Org Proj or Grant field.
- Select John Kempken as the Authorized Buyer from the drop-down menu and make sure that his information appears in the fields below.
- Click the Continue button to submit your equote for review and order.
Using the UWM Apple Store
- Access the Apple Store site.
- Select “Wisconsin” as your state and enter “53201” as the ZIP code, and then click the Search button.
- You will see four results; each of the three UWM search results contains the same products and pricing. Click the Browse as guest link to the right of any of these UWM stores to display the Apple store homepage.
- Search for and add your selected item(s) to the cart. Please note that an AppleCare Protection Plan is required for all computer and iPad purchases as per L&S policy.
- When you’ve finished shopping, click the Cart link in the top right corner to display your shopping cart.
- To begin creating a quote, click the small Create Saved Cart link underneath the large Update button.
- On the page that appears, enter the following information:
- Your personal information in the Name and Phone Number fields.
- email@example.com in the Email field
- If you’d like a copy of the quote, enter your email address in the Send Copy To: field. (optional)
- In the Comments field, enter your name, the name of the intended user of the computer, the funding string (if known), and any other relevant information.
- Click the Submit button to send your quote to L&S IT purchasing agents, who will confirm your purchase or contact you with any additional questions.