Using Special Collections
Because Special Collections holds rare, unique, and other special research material, the stacks are closed to researchers. The materials in these collections are available for research use in the Reading Room, subject to the following rules. Researchers should also familiarize themselves with the UWM Libraries User Rights and Responsibilities and Library Use Guidelines.
- Material from these collections does not circulate and must be consulted in the Reading Room, Monday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Readers must sign the register and present valid photo identification each day before entering the Reading Room.
- USE PENCILS ONLY. No pens are permitted in the reading room. Laptops, tablets, cameras, cell phones, and other digital recording devices may also be used with permission.
- Beverages are not permitted in the Reading Room.
- All containers and personal effects not required for research, including briefcases, backpacks, coats, and purses, must be placed in the lockers or closets before entering the Reading Room.
- The Reading Room is reserved for patrons who are currently using Special Collections items. The Reading Room may not be used for unrelated general study or group meetings.
- Readers are permitted to use one book at a time. Exceptions may be made by the person on duty if appropriate.
- Special Collections materials must be handled carefully. All materials must be used flat on the table. Do not make any marks on or remove marks from the materials. Do not open uncut pages. No books, papers, or other objects (except the special weights available to hold books open) may be laid on materials. Please report to the staff any errors in cataloging or other concerns about the materials.
- All inquiries concerning reproductions must be referred to a staff member. Approval of photocopy or scanning requests will be made on a case-by-case basis. Photography and the use of personal copying equipment is also permitted with approval. Arrangements can also be made to have materials photographed by the University. Please inform the staff if you intend to reproduce images from Special Collections materials for use in publication. It is the responsibility of the researcher to seek permission from the copyright holder to reproduce for publication.
- When you have finished using material, please leave the items flat on the reading room tables. Please inform the person on duty whether you will be using it again during the next week.
Revised March 2013