Tips for Staying Healthy
If you're the one feeling overwhelmed by stress or depression, we're here to help.
Develop techniques for dealing with stress
- Enroll in a course or program at UWM (ie. yoga)
- Try deep breathing, meditation, or take a walk
- Develop a plan to deal with stress with a UWM health educator
- Get free, short-term individual counseling at (414) 229-4716
- Stop in for brief emergency screening at the Norris Health Center from 8AM - 4PM
Learn more about stress-relief services from the UWM Norris Health Center
Learn more about stress at the American Institute of Stress
Fitness and Nutrition
The Department of Recreational Sports and Facilities (RSF) provides educational experiences and opportunities to develop healthy lifestyles, lifelong learning, student leadership and personal success by offering comprehensive recreational, health and wellness programs and quality facilities.
Learn more about the fitness programs and facilities available from the Department of Recreational Sports and Facilities
Alcohol and Drug Awareness
The Make Good Decisions (MGD) project is a program by UW-Milwaukee students for UW-Milwaukee students. This project is the outgrowth of a Wisconsin Department of Transportation grant for a program that would help prevent problems associated with the misuse of alcohol. UWM students involved in the planning phase of this project believed that the most effective way to prevent alcohol problems is for students to reach out to and educate their peers.
Safe drinking practices
- Don't drink on an empty stomach
- Don't take drinks from strangers
- Know your limits
- Don't drink and drive
- Know the symptoms of alcohol poisoning
Learn more about alcohol awareness and safe drinking practices
Depression and Suicide
The warning signs for depression and suicide are many and varied. If you or someone you know is suicidal, here are some tips to follow
- Express your concerns openly and clearly
- Encourage the student/friend to discuss how he/she is feeling
- Call the Milwaukee County Crisis Line at (414) 257-7260
- Encourage the person to seek help, suggesting Norris Health Center or other resources
Learn more about suicide at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
Learn more about depression at the National Alliance on Mental Illness
Student Health Services
Norris Health Center, your on-campus health resource, is located between Enderis Hall and the Klotsche Center. Health is a lifetime process and you are the primary player. The staff at Norris will be your partner in that process, providing treatment if you are ill or injured, but more important, assisting you in understanding your health needs and in learning to make healthy choices on a daily basis.
Norris provides the following services
- Low-cost pharmacy services
- A medical clinic providing a variety of general and some specialty health care services.
- Access to dental care resources
- Health promotion and wellness
- Sports medicine, including injury evaluation, therapy and treatments, post-surgery/post-injury rehabilitation, and orthopedic supports
- Travel clinic to help students with travel plans abroad abroad
Learn more about student health services available on campus